Thursday, April 06, 2006

I am a candidate

Since so many readers have come to know me through my blog writing, I thought that my blog was the appropriate first place to announce what happened this morning. I rolled in my electric wheelchair into the side entrance of the Old Knox County Courthouse and took the elevator upstairs. When I got there I rolled into the office of the Knox County Election Commission and presented my Certification of Write-In Candidacy to the Election Officer.

I am officially a Republican candidate for Knox County Commissioner for District 2, Seat A.

This seat is currently occupied by incumbent Republican David Collins.

Until the Supreme Court ruling last week, I had every intention of voting in the Primary to support Commissioner Collins. The Court ruled, as Tennessee readers already know, that the Term Limits laws passed in Shelby and Knox Counties in 1994 were constitutional, but being so close to the May Primary, the State Election Commission ruled that the ballots, complete with now-ineligible County Commissioners' names, must be accepted as-is and the election must go on as scheduled.

Write-in candidates are now either going to win their parties' nominations, or be "kingmakers" if the parties choose someone else.

I never dreamed just a couple of weeks ago that I would be in this position. It is true that I have always wanted to run for political office. However, I never thought I would get the opportunity, I believed I would just spend my life writing about others who do. Then along comes the Tennessee Supreme Court closing the door on others, perhaps unfairly, and opening the door to a little man like me. Many of the incumbent Commissioners have impressive biographies and lots of business connections in the community. My biography is not impressive, and the people I know-well, I know them because I am the kind of person who makes myself be known. When you live life with a disability, that is what you have to do to get by and have a chance to make it in life.

What I really want to focus on are the issues that matter to me and to the people of the 2nd District, to Knox Countians, and to East Tennesseans. In the coming days, I will have a website operational, and I will continue to blog here about issues and the campaign. Don’t be surprised in the days and weeks ahead if you don’t see me in your neighborhood or hear me on your radio. At the moment, my campaign has no bank account, and has total assets of zero dollars, so both dollars and volunteers to help canvas the district are always going to be welcomed.

So who should write me in for the Republican Primary May 2nd, or in early voting beginning April 12th?

If you live in the 2nd Commission district and you believe:

The issue of the wheel tax needs to be re-examined so that Knox County residents have more choices in how they pay for their schools and services, as opposed to merely “wheel tax or property tax,” write in DAVID OATNEY.

If you want county property taxes kept low enough for a working family to afford a home in Knox County, write in DAVID OATNEY.

If you want the County to have Eminent Domain legislation that favors the rights of the property owner first, then fight for it and write in DAVID OATNEY.

Maybe disability issues are important to you because you have a disability or live with or love someone who does. You want someone in county government who has an understanding of disability issues, not just someone who claims to-you absolutely need to write in DAVID OATNEY.

If you are pro-life, and look for pro-life candidates to support for all positions in government, you want to vote for the most pro-life candidate in the State of Tennessee, and that means you will want to write in DAVID OATNEY.

If you are just tired of government that is unresponsive to you and you want the man you need to talk to answering the phone (or to be there) you need to write in DAVID OATNEY.

I can think of lots of reasons why people should write me in for the District 2 (A) Seat in the GOP Primary. If you can think of a few more, e-mail me at
oatney@gmail.com

And write in DAVID OATNEY for County Commissioner for District 2, Seat A in the Knox County Republican Primary on May 2nd.

6 Comments:

At Thursday, April 06, 2006 1:27:00 PM, Blogger The Sen. said...

Can you be a guest on the radio friday at 4?

 
At Thursday, April 06, 2006 3:59:00 PM, Blogger Rob Huddleston said...

David -

Congratulations on your exciting step! I certainly wish you the best in your race, even if I won't have the pleasure of having you represent me (I, alas, live in the 9th, not the 2nd).

Cheers,

Rob

 
At Thursday, April 06, 2006 9:08:00 PM, Blogger Matt Daley said...

David,

Congratulations on your decision. Both Renee and I are thrilled for you, and we will be praying that the campaign goes well.

Cheers and God bless,

Matt

 
At Friday, April 07, 2006 1:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, might be nice to let people know where they can send contributions.

 
At Friday, April 07, 2006 12:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you will challenge Mark Harmon. Could you give us your views on Kelo and House Bill 3450 on the radio today?

 
At Sunday, April 09, 2006 12:24:00 AM, Blogger Nancy French said...

It is very gratifying to see someone with the courage to do this. Way to go!
Nancy F

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map