Friday, March 31, 2006

And now...another episode of-As The Election Turns

Rob Huddleston gives an update about the situation regarding the 12 (seemingly) disqualied candidates for re-election to the Knox County Commission. Apparently, State Election Chief Brook Thompson says the ballots cannot be altered because we are less than 40 days away from the May primary. Rob is right that this mess may bring about lawsuit after lawsuit over the summer leading up to the local General Election in August-and I don't know if he is right about whether or not it violates federal law, that may be the case, but this does put the County and State in a bind.

The reason is because here in Tennessee, we have early voting. For the primary, that voting begins April 12th and runs to April 27th. I must admit that I find early voting convenient and less hassle-bound than trying to find time to go to the precinct on the day of the poll, largely because I can just cast my vote downtown at the courthouse, and I can get there on my own. Well, new ballots would have to be ready in 13 days, and some absentee ballots have already been sent out for those who are homebound or infirmed.

Many of you have read that I am considering a candidacy for one of those soon-to-be-open Commission seats. Nicole and I still have not decided what we should do, or whether this time (and these unusual circumstances) is the right time for me to break in to the political landscape. I really think the Lord will have as more to say about that than anyone or anything else, so I would ask for everyone to pray for the Lord's guidance for Nicole and I in the days to come as the election situation is sorted out by the present County and State administration.

Whether I run or not, I do think it would be a novel idea to schedule a new primary for August, the same day as the State Primary. I don't know how likely that is, because that would actually make sense.

Later on As The Election Turns-Will the Election Commission reschedule the Primary?

2 Comments:

At Friday, March 31, 2006 6:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Run, David, Run!

 
At Saturday, April 01, 2006 11:37:00 AM, Blogger The Sen. said...

I love the title!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map