Thursday, March 30, 2006

Commissioner Oatney?

Stacey Campfield asks:

"Will you run?"

He is asking whether I will run to replace one of the 12 incumbent Knox County Commissioners who may be forced not to run for re-election as a result of the State Supreme Court ruling yesterday.

To be fair to these 12, it seems that the Election Commission doesn't have a clue yet what they are going to do. Stacey referred to today as "draft day," and pointed out that there will be a real hurry to replace these candidates with the Primary being the first week of May. He is right-but this could have a huge impact on who can run, it may make the filing deadline unreasonably soon and not give enough time to circulate petitions or campaign. If I were to run, I'd be shocked if I ran in the GOP Primary unopposed. I told Stacey this:


Assuming that I meet the Constitutional requirements for the office I would be running for, I would be glad to run if people asked and showed me there was enough support for it.

I stand by that. Let's just say I am going to have to do a little research-perhaps very fast research, and we are all going to have to see just what happens to the Twelve. If they really all get cut-well, I'll talk about it some more then-we'll see just what exactly happens.

For the record, I live in the 2nd District.

5 Comments:

At Thursday, March 30, 2006 4:58:00 PM, Blogger Rob Huddleston said...

David -

The petition is a piece of cake. The VOLConWife picked her petition up Wednesday morning (before the TSC released the opinion), and I plan to have it returned (as her Treasurer and Campaign Manager) by Monday.

The financial disclosures are a bit trickier given the new ethics law, but you could handle it.

Cheers,

Rob

 
At Thursday, March 30, 2006 6:32:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

What is the state requiring per financial disclosure now? You are welcome to e-mail me privately if you wish.

 
At Thursday, March 30, 2006 8:19:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

I have made NO decisions yet-I have a few people I need to talk to, not the least of whom is the Lord.

 
At Friday, March 31, 2006 2:52:00 PM, Blogger Chucko said...

Dave, I'll do all I can from Cincinnati. Unfortunately this isn't a whole lot, but let me know what I can do. I'm all about Team Oatney!

 
At Saturday, April 01, 2006 10:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Run David. You would make Knoxville proud.

Terry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map