Thursday, January 12, 2006

No candidate=Making Oatney fighting Irish mad

In the wake of adding Rob Huddleston to our blogroll, I have to say a few words about his post yesterday which, if it proves to be true, has my Irish temper flaring and has for a good 12 hours or more.

The rumor mill has been churning in Republican circles for some weeks that the GOP might not field a candidate to oppose Governor Phil Bredesen-no one wants to run, it is said. I had thought that surely someone might step forward, especially considering the four years of scandal, graft, corruption, and cronyism that seriously make the Clinton people look like saints. If anything, Bredesen has been proven to be a liar and a fraud. It takes a lot for me to say that about someone...I am willing to concede that he may not be telling mistruths on purpose, and I am even willing to concede that he may not intend to be fraudulent. I didn't intend for a lot of things, but that doesn't make them not so.

Knowing full-well that his administration wreaks of corruption to the point that the stench has been reported to reach nearly to the Third Heaven, the Republicans will not run a candidate against Bredesen-so reports Huddleston.

This makes me so angry I could spit nails. It would be one thing if Tennesseans equated Bredesen with Andrew Jackson, William Blount, or Sam Houston. The polls would indicate, however, that Bredesen is not exactly Mr. Popular-they seem to show that if he has an opponent on the ballot and agrees to a public debate, he's as good as whipped.

To our State Party leaders: You ought to be ashamed of yourselves. If you don't put a candidate on the ballot to run against Nashville Phil, every last bloody one of you needs to resign your party posts. You will have disgraced our party and done a terrible disservice to our great State. Look, one of YOU ladies or gentlemen could file and run. One of you County Chairmen out there, you could run, any of you. SOMEONE...anyone-someone to give us a real choice. I know you can find someone, party leaders, and if you can't find anyone else, one of you should run. I know you'll have at least one vote-that's me-and probably many thousands upon thousands more. Think of it as your patriotic duty.

I feel so strongly about this that if none of you are man enough or woman enough to step forward and do your duty to your God and your country to preserve a free vote, I'd be willing to offer myself up as a write-in candidate to give the people of Tennessee some small modicum of choice.

Look, I am an unknown, I'm a nobody, I'm the new kid in town, and if it looked like I'd be any threat to Phil Dirt, I am sure he and his boys would dig up every piece of dirt on me to run me into the ground. I am just a little blogger from Knoxville with no money and no law degree, and if none of you out there will show you love Tennessee enough to stand up and oppose this man who has done so much harm to so many, I love Tennessee enough to say that I would oppose him, if I am the only person in the State who does. This is my home, and I sure as Hell don't want to see this crop of Cain run my home into the ground. I love Tennessee enough to say that we don't deserve this-and I was not even born here. You who were-you don't even love Tennessee enough for one of you to run against these people?

To quote Samuel Adams:

"Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

I hope you are happy, you who were considering running but won't. History will remember that your laxity may be what gives Tennessee over to income tax and bureaucrats. I am ashamed to count you as Republicans. Don't use the name, please...you do great dishonor to the rest of us.

There is still hope: Someone out there can still (in the name of God) do your duty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map