Sunday, January 08, 2006

Tridentine Mass

I was able to enjoy my first Tridentine Mass this afternoon at St. John Neumann Parish in Farragut. I've been to liturgies where either portions or most of the liturgy was in the Latin tongue, but this was my first authentic Tridentine experience.

I really enjoyed it! The only downside is that the crowd, and it was sizable, knew their responses very well, while I was new at it and was struggling to keep up. That's alright, though...I felt a tremendous sense of peace and reverence for the Blessed Sacrament. You could really tell the folks there were grounded in their faith and they believed (and understood the meaning of) the words they were saying and reading in their missals. In reading the English translation of the Latin from the 1962 Roman Missal, I have to say that the prayers and invocations of the "old Mass" were so much more beautiful , so much more meaningful, and contained greater theological depth than the English translation of our modern liturgy. I have to wonder why, when deciding that Holy Mass could be said in the vernacular, the powers that be did not simply translate the beautiful Mass of the 1962 Roman Missal into English, and use that as the source for Mass in English.

I am happy with any reverent worship, so this shouldn't be seen as a complaint about the Novus Ordo Mass. It does seem, though, that our more modern worship is significantly "dumbed down." Perhaps we need to bring some depth back into our worship in 2005.

If you are in the area, this Tridentine Mass is said on the second and fourth Sundays of every month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map