Monday, January 02, 2006

The last day off

My wife works for Knox County Schools, so today is her last day off. Considering this, and considering that it is the last opportunity we will have to relax together for an entire day for quite some time, I am most appreciative that she has consented to endure for yet another year my annual New Year's wall-to-wall football Bowl Bonanza, postponed for a day because the New Year fell on a Sunday. The Bonanza, long a part of my annual New Year's festivities, gave rise in the years of my bachelorhood to some pretty interesting parties, perhaps the most memorable being the New Year's weekend I spent in Findlay, Ohio with my old friend Matt Daley just a few months before I was married. The folks at Makers' Mark are still reaping the profits from that weekend.

Now I am a married man, and my bowl festivities have calmed considerably, as my wife can attest. It is funny how, as we age, we no longer have quite as much taste for the over-exertions of youth. What I found somewhat exciting at 20 or at 25, I now see as exercises in ignorance and folly. Tastes, oh how they change with time...and experience.

Yesterday I happened to see one of those year-end restrospectives on WATE-TV. When the panelists were asked their predictions for 2006, they all predicted that Governor Bredesen would be re-elected by an overwhelming margin, with widespread support from the business community. I sure hope they give the people of Tennessee more credit than that after everything that has happened in Nashville in just the last twelve months. I hope the Republicans at the Statewide level can learn how to effectively attack Bredesen where he is weakest. He does not deserve a second term. There are ways, and as Brian Hornback has said at his blog, there may even be a candidate. There is more to come in the days ahead in 2006.

6 Comments:

At Monday, January 02, 2006 11:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

Oh yes.. quite the memorable weekend. I rather enjoyed playing hostess to you and Matt for a great football weekend. And the only time I'd be caught rooting for Ohio State.

 
At Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:43:00 AM, Blogger Brian Hornback said...

Well, today is my first day back to real work, 1/4/05. I took a day off Tuesday to travel home from the warm country (the land mass between the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic, it was previously refered to as Florida, now it is the landmass that hurricanes use as a rest area) I really must be getting old because I long for warm weather year-round, white sandy beaches, wearing shorts and sandles.

On the college football bowl front, Gotta love them Mountainers of West Virginia, Could have cared less about the Geritol bowl last night (Bowden and Paterno = Geritol) All I have to say about tonight is lock'em
longhorns.

 
At Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:52:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

I was very happy West Virginia won also, although like most people I hadn't picked them.

Careful now! Paterno v. Bowden might be the Geritol Bowl, but I am a huge fan of JoePa. I think he is not only a great coach, but he is a classy person as well. I like Bobby Bowden, but long ago thought Paterno could outcoach him...last night's game certainly was exciting and lived up to the media hype.

I'm all for Texas upsetting USC!

 
At Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:53:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Now Renee...what if Ohio State played Miami again? I'd just bet you wouldn't dare root for Miami.

 
At Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:22:00 PM, Blogger Brian Hornback said...

Dave, No intended disrespect for JoePa. I just can't imagine that if I had the fantastic record and that was experience that I would still be doing it. Bowden, well I never really cared for he or his son Terry, now his son Tommy (Clemson)I have a different opinion of. Bobby and Terry are whiners. In the Penn State -vs- Florida State, Penn State would have been my choice. In Florida, I would pull for Miami, Florida, USF, UCF and then probably no body before Fla. State

 
At Thursday, January 05, 2006 10:31:00 AM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

I do wonder why JoePa still does it, but I was one of these folks who thought he was all washed up and he really proved me wrong this year.

As for the Bowdens...I used to like Terry, but I have come to agree with your analysis (that he is a whiner) in recent years. Bobby is senile in a bad way, it is quite sad. If you are ever in the Tallahassee area and happen to catch his coaching TV show, you'll note that he never calls players by their names, just the number. I hear from reliable souces that this is because he cannot remember players' names!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map