Questions of Birth Still Hang Over ObamaIn the wake of the General Election on Tuesday last, there is little question that in spite of allegations of voter fraud in Ohio and Indiana, Barack Obama fairly won the election in the constitutional sense. However, the latest problem involving Obama's background is his apparent inability to produce an authentic vault copy of his birth certificate with the raised and embossed seal of the sovereign State of Hawaii thereon:
What are the requirements to become president? Section 1 of Article II of the U.S. Constitution states that a president must:
- be a natural born citizen of the United States;
- be at least 35 years old;
- have lived in the U.S. for at least 14 years.
The inevitable constitutional crisis regarding Obama, of course, revolves around his inability (or unwillingness) to produce an authentic Hawaiian birth certificate with the raised certificate stamp that the Federal Elections Commission can independently verify.
I know there are those who say Obama has produced an authentic birth certificate and posted it on his website, but experts and amateurs alike quickly found numerous errors in that document and deemed it a forgery (and a bad one at that).
Philip J. Berg, a Democratic operative and former deputy Attorney General of Pennsylvania, has assumed the tragic role of Prometheus, ascended Mount Olympus, the abode of Zeus, and has launched a one-man campaign to force Obama to verify his U.S. citizenship by suing the senator, the Democratic National Committee and the Federal Election Commission, to verify that indeed he is worthy to be President of the United States by producing a real birth certificate.
Here are some of the unanswered issues hanging over the head of President-elect Barack Obama and the question of his American citizenship cited in an earlier article by WND news editor Drew Zahn:
- The allegation that Obama was born in Kenya to parents unable to automatically grant him American citizenship;
- The allegation that Obama was made a citizen of Indonesia as a child and that he retained foreign citizenship into adulthood without recording an oath of allegiance to regain any theoretical American citizenship;
- The allegation that Obama's birth certificate was a forgery and that he may not be an eligible, natural-born citizen;
- The allegation that Obama was not born an American citizen; lost any hypothetical American citizenship he had as a child; that Obama may not now be an American citizen and even if he is, may hold dual citizenships with other countries. If any, much less all, of these allegations are true, the suit claims, Obama cannot constitutionally serve as president.
- The allegations that "Obama's grandmother on his father's side, half brother and half sister claim Obama was born in Kenya," the suit states."Reports reflect Obama's mother went to Kenya during her pregnancy; however, she was prevented from boarding a flight from Kenya to Hawaii at her late stage of pregnancy, which apparently was a normal restriction to avoid births during a flight. Stanley Ann Dunham (Obama) gave birth to Obama in Kenya, after which she flew to Hawaii and registered Obama's birth."
- The claim could not be verified by WND inquiries to Hawaiian hospitals, since state law bars the hospitals from releasing medical records to the public.
I am somewhat hopeful that Berg will successfully appeal Surrick's outrageous decision to 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals and then to the United States Supreme Court if necessary, even if technically he doesn't have standing to hold Obama accountable to the Constitution. Why? Because this is America, and out of 300 million people, someone should give a damn enough about this republic to make sure the person who holds the highest elected office in the land holds it legitimately based on the black letter text of Article II, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution.
For those not aware, Philip J. Berg, the man who brought the suit Berg v. Obama, and Berg is not a Republican operative, but a life-long Democrat and prominent Pennsylvania party man. An injunction request on the part of Berg to halt the General Election last Tuesday was denied by U.S. Supreme Court Justice David Souter. However, in denying Berg's request, Souter also ordered the now-President-Elect to respond to the Writ of Certiorari by December 1st:
Berg said he was told by a clerk for Souter that his application for an injunction to stay the election was denied. But he also said the defendants "are required to respond to the Writ of Certiorari" by Dec. 1.
Legally translated, that means that Barack Obama has until December 1st to produce the authentic copy of his birth certificate, not a facimile from a website which cannot be authentically verified. If he cannot do this, it may force the Court to take up the question of Obama's citizenship.
My money is on Obama ignoring the High Court and hoping the Court will in turn ignore the issue in the name of keeping the peace-something they may in fact do. If the Court does not ignore the matter, however, we have a massive problem on our hands.
The Constitution has for too long been ignored by public figures in both parties in the name of expediency, and this could be a case where our national charter is thrown to the wind by an incoming President before he even swears the oath to support and defend that document. The Court should not ignore the Constitution's clear provisions on the qualifications of a President, it has a duty to enforce them regardless of political consideration or concern over public disorder.
Unlike some conservatives, I do not wish for the President-Elect to be dislodged from office on account of discrepancies over his birthplace. He has won a national election of historic import, and if now we learn that he cannot prove his natural-born status and that, as a result, he cannot be allowed to be sworn in as President, this country may begin a period where there is no social peace for many years to come. The Constitution cannot and should not be ignored in the name of order-we've already seen the present administration do that, and the country is worse off for it.
Barack Obama can end this speculation and prevent a pall of illegitimacy from hanging over his administration by producing the true and correct copy of his birth certificate for the world and the Supreme Court to see. I urge the President-Elect, not as a Republican, but as an American to end this speculation by producing his authentic birth certificate and presenting that document to the world in a press conference. In doing so, President-Elect Obama can not only maintain legitimacy, but he may help keep the peace as well.