Wednesday, November 05, 2008

My Race

I'll have a lot more to say about the national election in just a bit, but I know a lot of you are wondering about my City Council race:

Curtis Evans
186
17%(X)

Red Parker
183
17%

David Voiles
158
15%

Joshua Sinard
145
14%

David Oatney
125
12%

I'm quite sure there will be a few of you who don't particularly like me getting a kick out of the fact that I finished last As Nicole and several of my supporters pointed out, I lost the election by 61 votes. Curt Evans also ran a great campaign and throughout it, treated me with nothing but class and dignity. I really enjoyed working the polls yesterday with Curt, Ann Strom, Josh Sinard, and David Voiles-we had a wonderful time.

I was in a crowded field, and it says a lot about Red Parker's personal popularity that he barely campaigned, did not work the polls, and nearly won. I knew that when he entered the race we would all face an uphill climb. Several people said to me that it is a mark of success, not failure that I have lived in White Pine not quite three years and managed 125 votes with such a strong field-and I was initially told by some that the race would be so tight that 125 votes might win it.

I am proud of our campaign...I will run again. Not sure when the best time will be, but we'll try again at some point.

NOTE: I didn't include Ann Strom's numbers here, even though she topped the poll by a margin that left the rest of us in the dust. The reason is because that is exactly the result that the other candidates expected. We all knew that Ann was a shoe-in for re-election and we were fighting for that second, open spot that goes to the second-highest vote-getter.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Courage to run and lose is better than no courage on the sideline quarterbacking.

 
At Wednesday, November 05, 2008 8:20:00 PM, Blogger Gary ("Old Dude") said...

you played the game---and your wiser for it-----next time you will be formidable (lol)

 
At Thursday, November 06, 2008 6:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though it was a loss overall, will you say that it was a win for those 125 and your household?

 
At Friday, November 07, 2008 3:36:00 AM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Anon;
Absolutely! Those folks who voted for me gave me a great honor, and I got far more out of running than if I had stayed out of the arena.

 
At Friday, November 07, 2008 1:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, just like everyone remembers the Super Bowl losers and thinks what an honor for those guys to lose to the best team in the league...

 
At Saturday, November 08, 2008 1:55:00 AM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Anon;
Clearly, you've never asked your neighbors for their votes in a five-way race before. This might explain why you choose not to put your name behind your words.

 
At Monday, November 10, 2008 8:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I expected more from you, Dave. After months of readying this blog, I really would have thought that you could handle a loss in a mature manner, but deflecting and name calling is all I've seen up to this point. If it really is all that important to you:

Obediah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map