Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Trust me, its not personal

A number of people have asked me, both publicly here on this weblog, as well as privately via e-mail, phone call, or other means of communication, if I have anything against new Tennessee House Minority Leader Jason Mumpower. They ask this because not only was The World supportive of his opponent Bill Dunn, but this blog has questioned his reasons for running as well as his means of victory. After the vote was decided, we have continued this line of thought and questioning, and there are a few folks out there who think this is merely meant as a personal attack on Mumpower.

Let me state uncategorically that in no way are the reports of this blog intended as a personal attack on Representative Mumpower. If he or his agents or supporters hold to this belief falsely, then I am truly sorry, but they are sorely mistaken. Representative Mumpower has said that his goal is a Republican Majority in the
Tennessee House of Representatives, and this is a goal that I share with him and we in the conservative blogging community would like to work with him to achieve that goal.

The questions raised here are legitimate, and are made even more so by the fact that I have
not been alone in my belief that a challenge to Bill Dunn's leadership was completely unwarranted. When you hear comments from people both inside and outside the legislature about a Leader such as "rock solid," "he really takes it to the Democrats," "he is an incredibly successful fundraiser," and then that Leader loses no seats in a terrible year for Republicans, that isn't an indication of a need to remove someone. Pardon us for being miffed, because under the circumstances, the whole thing looks like nothing more than a naked grab for power.

Mumpower's supporters aren't helping their man's cause either. Anonymous supporters of Mumpower's
posted comments here while the Caucus would have still been voting-comments that indicated that they knew what the end result would be. At the same time, I normally get five to seven visits (not hits, unique site visits) from State servers per day. On the day of the Leadership vote, I received over thirty unique visits from State servers. Don't get me wrong, the traffic is great and all, and thanks for visiting-but it does seem a bit shady, almost as if the Mumpower people were scouring the blogs in an effort to do some damage control before the results were announced because they knew the blogosphere on the right was supporting Bill Dunn. I have no way to know if that was happening, but it does seem odd-and that is putting it mildly.

If
Jason Mumpower wants to win my confidence, I can be won over. He has to prove to me (and I suspect, to not a few other grassroots conservative folks) that his running for Leader was more than just a power grab. I want to believe in you, Jason-I need a reason.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 10:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you called Leader Mumpower to interview him?

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 4:01:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

I'd be glad to interview him. I am easily accessible, and considering the fact that I know a number of people in Nashville read this weblog, he is WELCOME to e-mail me...I'd love to interview him. I might ask some tough questions, but I am ready to work with him, too.

We have a goal (Majority) in common. He is the new Leader and he has taken it upon himself to try and get us there. I'd like to hear how he intends to do it.

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have questions, shouldn't you call Rep. Mumpower? Of course, but then you wouldn't have something to gripe about.

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:52:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Rep. Mumpower is welcome to call me. I would be proud to hear him out and even to talk to him face to face. I will publish any interview hwe wishes to give here on this blog.

If you represent him in some way, I think people deserve to know that-you should identify yourself to the readers of this weblog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map