Sunday, August 06, 2006

Ed Bryant's concession speech

Thank you. Thank you. Its so good to be with you tonight. Thank you for being here.

All throughout this campaign I've said that Our strength as a nation comes not just from having the strongest military or the biggest economy, but that our strength comes from the goodness of our people.

Tonight, I see that goodness all around me.

For the past 20 months, as my wife Cyndi and I have traveled across Tennessee from Bartlett to Bristol, Ive been blessed to see this with my own eyes.

Im proud to call Tennessee home. This is the home of my 99 year old mother, it's the place Cyndi and I raised our three sons, and it's the future I want to pass on to my two grandchildren.

Tonight, Cyndi is here with me. I want to thank her for standing beside me not just through every day of this campaign, but every day for the past 34 years. Thank you, Cyndi.

And with us are two of our sons, Josh and Drew and Drew's wife Kitty. Thank you.

But tonight really belongs to all of you. I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for me. To my county chairmen . . . my supporters . . . my staff . . . the groups who have endorsed me . . . to the thousands of volunteers across Tennessee whove work long hours: You have carried this campaign with your support, your prayers, your hearts, and your votes. And together we've gone farther than anyone else ever said we would.

Thank you for standing up for me because our future depends on good men and good women who are willing to stand up for what they believe.

Too many of Americas problems are created in Washington because good men and women lack the will to do what they know is right.

We need to change that. We ALL must work together to change that.

Tonight, weve come to the end of what has surely been Tennessees longest campaign, and I want to congratulate Bob Corker on his victory. It has been a spirited campaign, but we needed that to make sure our Republican nominee is ready.

Throughout this long campaign, there was one point that Bob Corker and I ALWAYS agreed on - Tennessee can't afford to have Harold Ford Junior become our next U.S. Senator because his liberal record is out-of-step with Tennessee's values.

Thats not the type of Senator we need.

Our families deserve better.

And it is time that we all come back together as Republicans, as Tennesseans, and as Americans and chart the right course for our country.

Our work begins here. It begins tonight. And it continues long past the November election.

If you believe that Tennesseans deserve a U.S. Senator who understands that our strength as a nation comes not just from having the strongest military or the biggest economy, . . . but that our strength comes from the goodness of our people, . . . our faith in God . . . and in the liberties He has blessed us with and which our forefathers wisely protected in the Constitution, then lets make sure that we elect that person this November.


Bob Corker is going to need our help. And if there is one thing you have proven with your hard work, it is that there is no substitute for the dedication that each of you has shown.

Right now here in Nashville Harold Ford Junior is meeting with Bill Clinton, and theyre not talking about the good old days. Theyre plotting how to take over the United States Senate, and step one is letting Harold Ford Junior take Bill Frists desk and sit it beside Senator Hillary Clinton so he'll know how to vote.


Bob Corker is going to need our help.

I suspect that in a few minutes, hes going to ask for it. But I'm going to ask you first. We owe it to Tennessee and to the nation to work together.

Please join me in congratulating Bob Corker tonight on his victory.

We ran a good campaign. I am proud of you, and I cannot thank you enough. But the results are in.


Before Cyndi and I decided to run last year, we prayed. We felt called to this endeavor, and tonight I believe I know why.

Every day has been conducted with purpose. Every day has made me a better person. Every trial has brought me closer to Cyndi and to my family, and every relationship I have has been strengthened.

And that includes my relationship to you. It is a blessing I have been given, and it doesnt end tonight.

Tomorrow is a new day, and we all have work to do to elect our next U.S. Senator and to elect Jim Bryson our next governor.

Thank you, thank you for everything, and may God bless us all.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, August 05, 2006 3:59:00 PM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

Daved,
So ... you're going to drink the Cool Aid and vote for Corker?

SteveMule

 
At Saturday, August 05, 2006 6:41:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Steve;
Surely you've figured me out better than that...

I will vote for Corker (or Ford) when Hell freezes over.

I just thought Ed Bryant's concession speech was worth posting.

 
At Saturday, August 05, 2006 10:08:00 PM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

David,
I wasn't sure, sorry. His concession speech was good. It was your added emphasis/highlights toward the end that threw me off a bit. I didn't think you were but I had to ask. If it helps, I'm not voting for Corker either.

SteveMule

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map