Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Senate situation

Jim Webb (DEM)
1,170,766
50%


George Allen (GOP)*
1,162,719
49%



This seat will undergo a recount, because if Mr. Webb were declared the winner he would win by less than one-half of one percent of the vote. Speaking honestly, I expect his share of the vote may increase as more of the votes in the precincts around Arlington and McLean are counted.

Obviously, I want George Allen to win, but that is not what I am expecting to happen. I expect Mr. Webb will win and that the control of the Senate will come down to another disputed race-Montana.


Jon Tester (DEM)
195,235
49%


Conrad Burns (GOP)*
193,506
49%


Conrad Burns has opened up a narrow lead. If Burns should hold on after the recount, the Senate would remain in Republican hands by one seat. I suspect Tester will get testy and if I were in a race this close, I don't know that I would blame him. Control of the Senate could come down to some lawyers and judges...how comforting does that sound to you? I'm calm about it...I am just totally assured in the ability of a gang of trial lawyers to determine the fate of the United States Senate...yeah...that's right.

UPDATE 12:44 pm: As you can see, I misread the numbers here and Mr. Tester has a slight lead in this very tight race. I sincerely apologize for this error. We are still monitoring this and we'll keep you updated as to the latest. As for Virginia, I believe it is looking more and more like Jim Webb will eek it out in the Commonwealth.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 08, 2006 11:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, Burns has a narrow lead? How is that? My grade school teacher taught me that 195,235 is a BIGGER number than 193,506. Do you have other numbers that you're not posting?

Second, "I am just totally assured in the ability of a gang of trial lawyers to determine the fate of the United States Senate...yeah...that's right."
Yeah - so now you know how the majority of Americans (who voted for Gore) feel about Bush's "selection" by a "gang of trial lawyers".

 
At Wednesday, November 08, 2006 12:39:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Hello anonymous-you are correct.

My numbers were off, I concede...I had misread them and for that I apologize to my readers...Jon Tester has a narrow (but apparently contestable) lead.

As to trial lawyers selecting Bush, I believe Bush was elected by the Electoral College..it is part of the Constitution, or is that to be ignored when convenient?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map