Friday, May 12, 2006

Bryant should take a higher road.

A lot of folks in the Tennessee blogosphere are reacting negatively to this website put out by Ed Bryant's Senate campaign. To be honest, I have mixed feelings about it. I have no problem with negative campaigning, since I think people need to be exposed to both sides of someone's record, and they can judge for themselves what in the negative ads are truthful and what is just campaign crap. I also agree with those who say there is a line you don't cross, because you shouldn't inspire hatred or destroy someone's dignity.

The parody I posted yesterday, for example, was pointing out the flaws in Corker's record and poking fun at his buddy-buddy relationship with the walking Republican Disaster, former Governor Don Sundquist. It was also hilarious.

I would not, however, make fun of Bob Corker's mama, even though the commercials with his mother remind me of a scene in the opening chapter of The Last Hurrah. I would not say Bob Corker is a bad man personally-even though I think he is a terrible example of a Republican and would make a bad Senator, on top of the fact that he is lying to people when he says he is conservative. I think these things about Corker, but he might make for a good fishing partner (since the fish probably wouldn't bite for him but would for me), and I am sure his mama is a nice lady.

I believe Corker is a dangerous man, but not because he is a personally bad guy-Bob Corker is dangerous because his record is awful, his ideas are bad, and his kind of candidate is not what the Republican Party needs. I think Ed Bryant could win the battle of ideas with Corker on that reality alone.

So dangerous do I believe Corker to be that I am nearing the point of saying that either of the other two Republicans is better for the Party than Corker, in spite of my issues with Van Hilleary's personality and campaign strategy.

I am still fully in support of Ed Bryant, but I do believe his campaign needs to get their act together-attacking Bob Corker on a juvenile website will not win, and waiting until the last minute to buy ads in East Tennessee will lose the race. Bryant and his people need to make strong moves to recapture the momentum, and they need to do it today.

3 Comments:

At Friday, May 12, 2006 12:44:00 PM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

Mr. Oatney,
I liked it :-)

SteveMule

 
At Saturday, May 13, 2006 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

David,
Having viewed Ed's attack site some more I have to say that at least he isn't afraid to swing a club! I hope that the Republican Primary for the TN Senator seat is a hot one.

SteveMule

 
At Monday, May 15, 2006 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

I'll bet you do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map