Tuesday, May 09, 2006

No more Pilot

Yesterday when I saw it, I remember saying to my wife "I wish I had a camera." I am sorry, dear readers, that I did not, but the next time Nicole and I are out together and I see what I saw yesterday evening, I'll do my best to remember some sort of camera so that I can take a picture of it and make sure it is posted here.

The phenomenon Terry Frank blogged about yesterday, namely seeing large Bob Corker for U.S. Senate signs outside Pilot stations in East Tennessee, I have now seen evidence of with my own eyes. On two occasions I saw large Corker signs outside Pilot locations, one was on Clinton Highway not far from my place. The Pilot on Merchant's that (if Haslam had bothered to order the laying of sidewalks-something that we don't have done in spite of city taxes) would be within walking distance does not have one yet, but somehow I reckon it will soon enough.

You know, when Nicole and I lived away from Knoxville, we knew that someday when we were finished with our education and the other affairs of the (relatively) young and newly married, we'd settle in Knoxville/Knox County, or the surrounding area, and we'd begin a business and a family together. We always tried to buy gas and other travelling sundries at Pilot because we believed we were at least supporting a Knoxville business and the East Tennessee economy. Pilot got a lot of business from us because we travelled a lot (we still do).

No more will we be buying gas or taking care of our travel needs at Pilot. In addition to an apparent pricing "fix" (the company has yet to explain to my satisfaction how it is that the price can be $2.65 at one Pilot, $2.75 at another just down the street, $2.69 at yet another, when all the Pilot gas supplies in Knoxville come from the same place), the Haslams are using Pilot oil money to prop up the Corker campaign, and openly promoting Corker at Pilot stations. I will not have my money assisting Bob Corker in being elected, or rather buying the election.

9 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 09, 2006 6:25:00 PM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

Mr. Oatney,
Get your gas at a CITGO station. That way the Haslem's won't get your $$. It's where I get mine.

SteveMule

 
At Tuesday, May 09, 2006 9:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merchant Drive Pilot has a sign. I saw it today.

Aren't the Haslams free to support whoever they want in a primary? Don't the Haslams do a lot of good for our community? (They gave $32M to UT recently, etc.)

Are you envious of their wealth?

 
At Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Haslem's are free to support whoever they want and consumers are free to choose another filling station besids Pilot to buy gas.

Boycott Pilot Oil!

 
At Wednesday, May 10, 2006 6:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just amazed at how factionalized the party is and how quickly Republicans are turning on other Republicans.

Bear in mind that I'm new to the area, but it seems that the Haslams do good things and that after the primary everyone will fall behind the candidate that wins?

 
At Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:14:00 AM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

No, I am not envious of Haslam wealth, I'm all for wealth as long as that wealth is going, politically speaking, to REAL conservatives, not phonys (Corker has voted in Democrat Primaries-I have never voted for a Democrat). I find it insulting that this man would try and sell himself as a conservative like me.

What the Haslam family chooses to do with their money is their business, but I won't contribute to it if I think it is wrong by frequenting that business.

I'll not support Harold Ford, but I will guarantee you if Corker wins the Primary, you'll be calling Harold Ford "Senator."

 
At Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:26:00 PM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

Mr. Oatney,
Please keep in mind that regardless of whoever wins the Republican Primary you may be calling Harold Ford Jr "Senator"
Bryant is not a cure all for what ails the GOP nor is he a shoe-in.

SteveMule

 
At Wednesday, May 10, 2006 1:42:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

He is not a cure all, nor is he a shoe-in, but if Corker wins the Primary, Ford will win the General election.

He could win against any candidate. Nominating Corker will hand him the seat, I do believe.

 
At Wednesday, May 10, 2006 1:44:00 PM, Blogger Chucko said...

Harold Ford is one of the few Democrats I respect in Congress... what surprised me is that he appears to be trailing potential Republican challengers. He's definitely a rising star in that party.

 
At Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:18:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Oh Charles...if you only knew...

The Ford family is one of the most corrupt political machines in this State. On top of that, for all of his talk, Ford's voting record does not lend itself to conservatism.

However, I will say this about Ford: Nothing has been found that implicates him in any of the family shenanigans. He is slick, and he understands the mind of the Tennessee voter better than any other Democrat, including the far-slicker Bredesen. This makes Ford an extremely potent and dangerous election foe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map