Thursday, April 13, 2006

Holy Thursday

And whilst they were at supper, Jesus took bread and blessed and broke and gave to his disciples and said: Take ye and eat. This is my body. And taking the chalice, he gave thanks and gave to them, saying: Drink ye all of this, For this is my blood of the new testament, which shall be shed for many unto remission of sins.
-
Matthew 26:26-28

Christ sat at table that first Holy Thursday knowing that every apostle but one, John, would abandon him. He forgave all of them, and probably would have forgiven Judas also had Judas not hung himself.

The human side of Christ was obviously not overly excited about what was about to happen, but he also understood that he was giving up his life for the salvation of humanity. He was called to do what was right, not merely what he wanted to do..."Father, if this cup may pass from me..."

Yesterday, I was asked to sacrifice something that I wanted for the greater good. My sacrifice was far less tumultuous than Christ.

Christ rose from the dead. I will "rise" to another political opportunity. I pray that my friends do not abandon me, but continue to believe in me and the cause we share together.

No, I am not comparing myself to Christ-just saying it is Holy Thursday and sacrifices abound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map