Sunday, May 15, 2005

Pentecost

Today is Pentecost Sunday, known in some circles as the birthday of the Church. It is the day when the Church commemorates the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles, and the revelation of that same Spirit to the whole world. When Christ endowed the Church with power from on high, it became an unstoppable force for the conversion of humanity.

For me, Pentecost holds a much more personal meaning. Seven years ago on Pentecost I was baptized, confirmed, and received my first Holy Communion. Thus, when the Church universal speaks today about the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, I can identify, because I have experienced that flow of grace firsthand in my life on the very day in which the first such flow occurred.

As for the Church, 2000 years later, the Church is still going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map