Wednesday, May 31, 2006

An offer on a house

Yesterday Nicole and I made an offer on a house. It is a one-story ranch-style dwelling with a large two car garage with multiple storage space. There is enough space in the garage alone for a huge amount of storage. The house needs a little work, but not much-mostly renovation of the bathroom, installation of some new appliances, and the building of a deck to make the entryway level to make it easy for me to enter and leave the house.

Things tend to turn out as they are supposed to. When I dropped out of the Knox County Commission race, I said that the primary reason I was doing so was that we as a family really needed to get some property of our own and begin to look after our business interests before I could run for office. If this offer is accepted, our new home will be on North Street in Newport in Cocke County. Acceptance of the offer isn't a sure thing at this point-we made a good offer, but we found out as the paperwork was being faxed that someone else made an offer on the property within the hour. We have to hope and pray our offer is accepted, while the other is rejected.

As for politics, this hardly puts a damper on me being involved in politics, it just means I'll have to start from the ground up. I'll be involved and active in GOP affairs, and I'll try to begin my involvement from day one. I think it is important to show by your actions that your community, whether you have lived there all your life or whether you are new to it, matters to you-and you are willing to give of your time and abilities to make it a better place. I am certainly willing to do that in Newport and Cocke County, or wherever we might make our home.

Leaving Knox County is not a sure thing, though-the Knox County Dems shouldn't order the catering for the "Oatney is gone" party just yet. That offer we made might get turned down since someone else also made an offer yesterday. If the offer is rejected, we are back to square one. I will admit, though, that I like the house and the property and, for that matter, I really like the Newport community and I always have. I hope and pray that the offer we made is accepted.

If we do move to Cocke County, it will certainly lead to some new political experiences to say the least. Considering my known inability to keep my mouth shut, I am certain in may lead to some serious boat-rocking. However, I would hope that in time whatever meager contributions I might be able to make to conservatism in Cocke County will be as welcomed and embraced as they have been in Knox County. Whatever will be will be, though, and we'll see what happens on that front in the coming months and years if the purchase of this property becomes a reality.

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 31, 2006 12:16:00 AM, Blogger Brian Hornback said...

Oatney, If the offer is accepted, you will be missed. You have always been supportive of me as Chairman, for that I Thank You.

My prayer is that you and Nicole will be happy and blessed. I will always have Oatney World as a daily read even if your in Cocke County. There are many good people in Cocke County.

The good news is we are just taking the blogging arena and stretching its resources. VolCon covering South Knox through Hawkins and Sullivan into Washington Counties. Oatney covering Knoxville through Jefferson, Sevier, Cocke, Greene Counties. Brian's Blog West knoxville through Blount, Loudon, Roane, Morgan and Rhea Counties. Terry Frank with Anderson County through Scott, Campbell and all other points.

I tell you Oatney, your relocation spreads the valuable local blogger assets in fine coverage territory.

Soon we will employ the Verizon network that is now on all the Verizon commercials.

 
At Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:53:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Well, the offer isn't a sure thing yet, so I am not treating it as final by any means. However, I would like to think that my blog and my writing abilities can be of use to conservatives in Cocke, Jefferson, Sevier, and Grainger Cointies.

I also want to be involved in politics because I enjoy it, and political involvement has always made me feel as though I am serving my community in some minute but worthwhile fashion. WHerever we live I want to be involved and continue to remain involved.

I could certainly use your advice, Brian, as well as the advice of others. If the move becomes a reality, I will likely e-mail you seeking said advice. I am also not ashamed to take it from others, so please feel free, my friends, to leave your political advice for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map