Saturday, May 27, 2006

The reception

Last night Nicole and I attended a reception for State Representative Stacey Campfield. The guests were what I would consider a kind of "who's who" among East Tennessee's "true conservative" movement.

Councilman Steve Hall-late of the Knox County Mayor's race-was present and I got more details about the attempted assassination. I think it says quite a lot about Steve's humility that what really amounted to an attempt to scare him was not something he wanted to publicize, even though it could have greatly benefited his campaign.

Terry Frank was there and was among the first to greet me. Terry impresses me greatly, not only because she is a lady of great class but because she is truly committed to a more conservative, Christian society that will better those who work hard and contribute to it. We need more people like Terry in the Republican Party apparatus, and even moreso in the halls of government.

Mark Saroff came by, and sat with me for a few minutes. We discussed his flop in the County Commission race and he confessed that he did not campaign because he spent all of his spare time campaigning for Steve Hall. "I'd like to really run next time," he said, and let me know that he intended to make a run in the future.

Anderson County Republican Chairman David Massingill introduced himself to me and recognized me enough to ask if I was myself. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised when he said "I read your blog every day," and he complimented me on what I do here. The number of folks who had good things to say about this undertaking really took me aback. I knew people were reading, but I really had no idea that so many folks who I would consider activists and actors in our conservative movement in East Tennessee appreciate this weblog. It really humbles me that so many of you have come to see this site as a home of reliable conservative thought. When I started this thing, I really thought it would be a hangout for a few "radicals of the right." I am both glad and heartened that it has become more than that-thank you, all of you who read, you make doing this well worth doing.

There was one critical person missing from the reception, and that was the host himself. Stacey was still in Nashville and the legislature was still in session, set to adjourn today. I don't know, but I find it awfully funny that the House would be held over by the Chair on the first night members are allowed to hold fundraisers. I find it strange because this is a year that Tennessee Republicans may be set to buck the national trend, and many of their opponents have a built-in fundraising advantage.

I'm sure we'll see Stacey and others soon on the campaign trail.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, May 27, 2006 9:19:00 PM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

Dave,
Did he raise any money?

SteveMule

 
At Sunday, May 28, 2006 12:55:00 AM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Steve;
Yes, he did, though I do not know how much. People kind of staggered in while the affair was going on.

 
At Sunday, May 28, 2006 8:58:00 AM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

Dave,
Good! Yes, people seem to wander in and out all during these things, no set time to be there. It makes it hard to keep track of things. Glad you had a good time!

SteveMule

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map