Friday, October 13, 2006

I do sincerely repent-called out by Rob Huddleston

We have had a policy from the beginning here at The World of acknowledging when we are wrong about errors in fact, and when those errors in fact lead to erroneous interpretations on our part.

Rob Huddleston has done what few have been able to do...Rob has called me out.

In a comment a few moments ago he said:

First of all, he's (State Sen. Mike Williams) not up for re-election this year.

Rob is right...I double-checked to ensure that he is right. Mike Williams' seat is not among those up for election this cycle. I should have checked the cycle and the ballot in the same way that I just did-I violated my own standards. For that, I apologize profusely to my loyal readers-I am sincerely sorry.

In a related matter, Rob says:

Second of all, and with all due respect, you might as well go ahead and endorse Harold Ford, Hillary Clinton, and Ted Kennedy while you're at it, because there is no difference between the four. Well, actually there might be - Williams is possibly more treacherous.

I don't know with absolute certainty, but I am betting that Rob is referring to Williams vote for John Wilder for Senate Speaker and Lt. Governor. I agree that in terms of partisan control of the Senate it is pretty low-down (because of Williams' vote, the Republicans have a majority in the Senate but do not effectively control that body), and in terms of the line of succession, it is not good to put an 85 year-old senile man a heartbeat away from the Governor's mansion.

That said, I suppose living in Dayton and Cincinnati for several years (ask Chuck Mountel about what it was all like) where a vote for any Democrat at the State level was likely a vote for a lunatic of some degree or other, then breathing the fresh air of East Tennessee politics has had a bit of an effect on me. Here, we may have the Ragsdales and the Haslams to deal with, but for the most part, the Republicans are conservative and most Democrats are actually sane-they may be wrong politically, but they haven't lost their minds like Democrats have in other places. In Wilder's case, he's losing his, but due to age.

No way would I vote for Wilder for Lt. Governor...but those who did can't be called unconservative based on that alone...I think Burchett is a sellout for other reasons, for example.

Nonetheless, Rob called me out...and I deserved it.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Friday, October 13, 2006 6:10:00 PM, Blogger Rob Huddleston said...

David -

In restrospect, I was a bit too harsh. I've noticed a trend in the tone of my comments when I try to quickly type them out during a short lunch break. I should have chosen a better time to leave them the first time.

Regarding Mike Williams, his vote for Wilder is inexcusable, but it isn't the only proof of his liberal Democratic leanings. I would go into more, but I'm going to let Mike Faulk, the "Mountain 'publican," do the honors.

Williams mind as well announce that this is his last term and get it over with, because Faulk is going to stomp a mudhole in him and walk it dry in '08.

Cheers,

Rob

 
At Friday, October 13, 2006 7:34:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Rob-speaking of Mike Faulk, do you reckon he would allow me the honor of linking to his blog.

 
At Saturday, October 14, 2006 12:07:00 AM, Blogger Rob Huddleston said...

Dave -

Absolutely! He e-mailed me the green light a few weeks back, and I'm sure he would appreciate more exposure. (Of course, his tireless work for the GOP has been pretty good exposure amongst those in his district.)

Faulk is going to need all of our help in the next election cycle. From my dealings with him, he is one man we should have no problem getting behind.

Cheers,

Rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map