Saturday, December 27, 2008

Jefferson County Commission: The Grinch That Stole Christmas

I just received word of how much my monthly house payment will increase because of the completely unnecessary, foolhearty, shortsighted, and utterly uncreative collective governance of the Jefferson County Commission. Like many homeowners, my property taxes are figured into my monthly mortgage payment. I am utterly agog at the size of the increase, and I pray God I can afford it. How many other Jefferson Countians find themselves in this situation?

County Mayor Alan Palmieri was correct earlier this year when he said that the County Commission failed to consider options other than a tax increase. Yes, I understand that there are circumstances beyond the county's control when an increase is necessary, but a tax hike should always be a means of last resort to obtain funds. The actions of Commission over the last two years show that a tax increase has become nothing more than routine.

Not every Commissioner advocates this mentality toward the taxpayers, so I will avoid making the indictment that all Commissioners have a careless attitude toward the common resources of the people of this county. It does not show empathy or sympathy with those outside of government who work for everything they have and and are proud of their small contribution to the community to view a tax increase as the only reasonable means to balance the books every year. The Commissioners aren't worried, so why should the people be?

This latest tax hike is a precise testimony as to why it ought to be at the very least an ordinance of Jefferson County, and at most the law in the State of Tennessee, that no property tax increase can be enacted without the consent of property owners in a referendum.

The Jefferson County Commission is truly the Grinch That Stole Christmas.


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:29:00 AM, Blogger Sharon Cobb said...

I'm sorry to hear about that increase and what it might do to you.

You know you and Nicole always have a place to stay in Nashville. I've got an extra bedroom that's yours.

I'm only one mile from the Capitol, and I bet y'all could get some work, there...so if things get really bad for you like they have for so many Americans, know you've got a place to stay. (And I'll even take down the Michael Moore poster, but the Beatles posters stay)

Your friend,
S

 
At Sunday, December 28, 2008 12:49:00 AM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Sharon;
Oh, we'll survive-by the hair of our chinny-chin-chin, perhaps-but we'll make it. If Commission does this again next year, they are truly foolish, as it is an election year.

As I said, I have no problem dealing with necessary situations, but two years in a row, and three times in five years (counting the last reassessment, which is really a tax increase under another name-an excuse to charge more without a move by Commission)? That isn't necessary, it is rediculous.

It is almost enough to get me to run for County Commission-almost.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map