Thursday, November 16, 2006

Standing behind Bill Dunn

Terry Frank reports a move of treachery by Republican State Representative Jason Mumpower of Bristol to oust Tennessee House Republican Leader Bill Dunn. Mumpower has resigned his position as Assistant Minority Leader to run against Dunn. My present State Rep. Frank Nicely will likely be unopposed in his quest to replace Mumpower as Assistant Leader.

Let no one accuse us of being hedgy about where we stand: The World stands squarely behind Bill Dunn and if we had a vote in the leadership race, it would be for our former fellow Holy Ghost parishoner Dunn. We hope that Bill Dunn will one day be the Speaker of the House.

I don't know what it is that is in Mumpower's craw or up his rear end, but I wish he would please bother to share it with the rest of us. Bill Dunn managed to maintain the status quo in the House and didn't lose seats in a year when there was great dissatisfaction with Republicans nationally-he managed to avoid the dreaded coattail effect. Does Mumpower believe he can do any better than Dunn under the present circumstances? If he does, I'd like to know what he plans to do differently.

I think I can answer these questions for Mumpower: He thinks he can do better than Dunn because he isn't Dunn, but he won't do any better-I'd be willing to bet the ranch on that. Both men are very much aware that the GOP has a very good shot at taking control of the Tennessee House in 2008 regardless of who is Leader, and Mumpower just wants to go down as being the one who gets the credit and becomes Speaker-it is a naked power grab and Mumpower needs to be put in his place for such a blatant manuver.

Message to Frank Nicely, Stacey Campfield, and anyone else on the Hill with a vote in the Leadership Race: GET 'R DUNN!

(Hat Tip: Kleinheider)

Labels:

6 Comments:

At Thursday, November 16, 2006 10:50:00 AM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

David,
With all due to respect to you and Rep. Dunn, I don't see this as an act of treachery but just your standard political jockeying for position/power. I doubt that Rep. Dunn considers this an act of treachery.
Rep. Dunn has a great reputation so I think Rep. Mumpower has an up hill climb.

SteveMule

 
At Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:07:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Steve;
To be truthful I don't think we can know what is going through Bill Dunn's mind-I do not think he is a bitter sort of man so I doubt he takes it in an overly personal way, but I am sure he was not expecting it-nor is it warranted.

That is why I see it as a treacherous act. He may or may not see it that way.

 
At Thursday, November 16, 2006 7:52:00 PM, Blogger Kara said...

I don't see it as an act of treachery, I think it's just part of the political process. Mumpower has a right to run, he's a good man, and deserves his fair shot. I don't really care one way or the other; I think either man would do a fine job. But I wouldn't be so quick to judge motives--as you say, you have no idea what is going through Dunn's mind. You also have no idea what is going through Mumpower's.

 
At Friday, November 17, 2006 9:46:00 AM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Actually, I think I may have some idea what is going through Mumpower's mind.

I have it from a highly placed source who wishes to remain unidentified and anonymous that Mumpower made a backroom deal with Democrats over ethics legislation without the knowledge or consent of GOP leadership in the House.

If that is true, this is boom or bust for Mumpower. If he wins, his backroom dealing is vindicated. If he loses, he can step aside gracefully while appearing to have been beaten by the better man. I can't help but wonder if his motive isn't just to find a graceful way out of leadership without being beaten for the Assistant Leader post by Frank Nicely-that's the part we may never know.

 
At Saturday, November 18, 2006 12:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The republican leader has a tough job. Some compare it to herding cats. He/She must be able to craft caucus legisltion with help from members of the caucus. Then put together a coaltion of Republicans and like minded dems., to move these policies forward. Second the Leader and Caucus chairman need to have an aggresive fundraising operration.In order to be prepaired to defend and expand their membershiptowards their gols. Bottom line who can get this done and shake enough money loose to be successful.

 
At Saturday, November 18, 2006 7:43:00 PM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

David,
Would Mumford be a bad pick? Keeping in mind, and, hopefully, adjusting adequately for my inate and valid biases Dunn has never really impressed me. He has, also, never angered me so ... would Momford be a bad pick? Why would Dunn be better?

SteveMule

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map