Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A round of election endorsements

Well, it is time to issue some official endorsements for the upcoming August Primary and November General Election. Many of these will be no surprise to some of you-but there may be a few surprises.

United States Senate: Ed Bryant (R)

Bryant has shown consistently that he is a conservative through and through, unlike certain other candidates whose positions change depending on whether or not it is Primary season or General Election time. Bryant also is willing to take unorthodox positions when he sees that it is the right thing to do, such as his idea that we need a new "Manhattan project," this time dealing with how to free our nation from dependence on foreign oil and other foreign sources of energy.

United States House of Representatives (2nd District): John J. "Jimmy" Duncan Jr. (R)

Duncan is actually opposed in the Primary this time by Steve McGill. The reason? McGill thinks he is more conservative than Duncan, who has an ACU rating of 95. (Jesse Helms remains the only person in Congress who ever got a 100, as far as I know). The real reason is because Duncan is one of the few Republicans who voted against the use of force in Iraq. Duncan is (like me) a paleoconservative, and saw the forest from the trees on this issue. Duncan believes that since we are in Iraq, our troops deserve every consideration to accomplish the mission set before them. Duncan is also wonderful at providing services to his constituents.



United States House of Representatives (1st District): Richard Roberts (R)

I saw Roberts at a festival Nicole and I attended in Cosby last week. I say that I "saw" him because I couldn't very well talk to him. When he came by where we were, the music was blaring. I tried to talk to his wife, but we dealt with the same problem. However, when the music stopped, I heard him talk to some folks nearby. He relates to everyday people very well (he is from rural Greene County), and I loved how he took time that I knew darn well he didn't have to make lengthy conversation with people to learn about their lives and listen to their concerns.

I do not agree with Roberts on all points, but seeing this deeply impressed me because it says a lot about this man's character and the kind of Congressman he will be.



Tennessee House of Representatives (7th District): Bill Dunn (R)

I know Dunn is unopposed, but he deserves an endorsement for the wonderful work he is doing as House Minority Leader. I hope that when the General Assembly gavels into session, Bill Dunn is the new Speaker of the House.


Tennessee House of Representatives (18th District): Stacey Campfield (R)

Stacey deserves to be re-elected for many reasons, but the most important is that he is willing to fight for what is right even if it means fighting the establishment of his own Party. That's why he is in a tough three-way Primary fight orchestrated by the powers-that-be in a ruthless attempt to destroy him. He especially fights aganst imminent domain abuse and for the property rights of everyday folks.

In spite of his frequent spelling and grammatical errors, he also deserves to be returned to the House because he is the only legislator who keeps a regular blog that keeps us informed about what is happening in Nashville from an insider's perspective.

I hope Stacey runs for higher office one day. I am proud to have him serving us in Nashville and I am proud to call him a friend.

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:16:00 PM, Blogger Adam Graham said...

Not to question your decision, but I check the ACU Website and Duncan shows at 92% for 2005, and 88% lifetime.

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:18:00 PM, Blogger Adam Graham said...

Make that 87% lifetime. Most conservative in the delegation is Marsha Blackburn at 97%, followed by Jenkins at 93, Wamp at 92% and then Duncan 87%.

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 6:33:00 PM, Blogger Rob Huddleston said...

David -

Your endorsements are your endorsements, but that being said...

Jimmy Duncan more conservative than McGill? I like Duncan, and he's always helped me when asked, but McGill is the more conservative of the two.

I can see supporting Duncan there, though. I cannot see supporting Roberts. Not to be too harsh, but you picked the least conservative candidate and the only one being proppped up by Bob Corker and his backers.

Ouch, man.

Cheers,

Rob

 
At Thursday, July 13, 2006 3:39:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Rob;
That may be, but I have a problem in Re: the First District-Roberts isn't just the only candidate you see on television, he is the only one I've seen out and aboutas Nicole and I move around the horn: Roberts has been the only candidate I've seen anywhere. I see everyone's signs, I see a few TV ads for the other candidates, occasionally I'll hear a radio spot-but Roberts people are floating everywhere.

Who has RTL endorsed in the 1st?

I would have much rather been able to endorse you, you know.

 
At Thursday, July 13, 2006 5:24:00 PM, Blogger Rob Huddleston said...

David -

RTL has endorsed David Davis. I have seen Davis' ad on TV, as well as the litany of Roberts ads. Cheek has produced a good radio ad, and I have seen Davis, Cheek, Waters, and Venable throughout the 1st District.

Internal polling I have seen shows Davis and Venable leading, followed by Roberts and Waters. It will come out to turnout, as each of those candidates has their own county supporting them. You should be able to throw a blanket over the lot of them on election night, the finish may be that close.

Cheers,

Rob

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 9:28:00 PM, Blogger Brian Hornback said...

Oatney

How about an endorsement for Angela Huddleston for State Executive Committewoman for State Senate Dist 6.

The Republican Chairman proudly cast a vote for her and for John Dance for State Executive Committeeman in State Senate Dist 6
this morning.

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 11:52:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Brian;
Of course I support the lovely and gracious Angela Huddleston for Republican Executive Committeewoman!

I also support her husband for whatever office he may ever choose to seek.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map