Tuesday, June 27, 2006

New York Democrat: "Faith is dead"

I don't do this often, but I am compelled to repost a portion of an exchange I had with another blogger at Where I Stand. After a rather lengthy explanation and defense of the Catholic faith (after Nick asked if I really believed the things the Church taught), I responded to this statement:


As far as I'm concerned, I live for the day when all Democrats can rise up and do a Howard Dean scream, "Faith is Dead! YEEEHHAAWWYYEHHAHAWYYYWAA!!! "

I responded with:

Hey, from a raw political point of view, I'm all for it! As soon as such a public declaration were made, the Democratic Party as we know it would be completely destroyed politically. Better yet, let's replace Howard Dean as the Democrat Chairman with Nick-it would expedite the demolition.

On a personal level, though, that isn't funny-for Nick. That he so completely lacks faith in anything would be such a wry and worthless existence for me. I find that my life is better because I have faith, and I can't even comprehend life without it, just as Nick doesn't seem to understand life with it. If this explains anything, it merely explains why it is that our worldviews are completely irreconcilable.

Now clearly, not all Democrats lack faith in God. However, there are many people who have a lot of influence in that Party-particularly in the Northeast where this blogger is from-who have little or no faith, while others act as if they do not. I find it sad, really, that faith now plays so little a role in one of our great political parties in this country that a Democrat from a heavily Democrat State (New York) can make a statement to the effect that he hopes the Party will one day declare that "faith is dead."

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:25:00 PM, Blogger Bill said...

In a very real sense, Dave, Nick doeshave faith. In the worst thing you can have fath in. . . nothing. No wonder Democrats are so miserable

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map