Monday, March 21, 2005

Monday of Holy Week

This past weekend, Nicole and I had occasion to have lunch with Father John Putka, SM, a man who is not only a "Father" in the sense of his priestly title, but one who I am proud to say is among my "fathers in the faith." When I was on the verge of beginning my journey into the Church, Father Putka was there to answer my questions, and he had the patience of Job about it. This is a great task considering that the person about to "swim the Tiber" was the same person who once assumed, as part of my former religious training, that our Holy Father was the Spawn of Satan. Of course, in fairness, by the time I started asking serious questions of Father Putka, I had thrown that notion in the intellectual and spiritual garbage dump (thank God). I credit Father Putka with being the person, unbeknownst to him, who gave me the needed assurance that being a member of Holy Mother Church did not require instant registration as a member of the Democratic Party. As trivial as that may seem, it was important to me, because until I encountered Father Putka, I made the incorrect assumption that the Church's social justice teachings required me to forsake the GOP. I just couldn't see supporting a party that promoted murdering innocent unborn children. Thanks to Father Putka, I realized that Church teaching doesn't really allow anyone of good conscience to support anyone or anything that upholds legal murder.


Now, as much as I think Father Putka has been an angel of spiritual mercy, I'd hate to have a paper due in one of his Political Science classes at the University of Dayton. In his term paper prep sheet, he informs students that only death will prevent them from turning in a term paper to him. Not even the Second Coming will save a student, Father warns, from the consequences of a late paper. Ouch! I suppose when we are all caught up to meet the Lord in the Clouds, once we're settled in, we'll have to meet in Father Putka's office to turn our term papers in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map