Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

And so today begins the season of penance...




During this time our hearts, minds and souls are called to a deeper reflection on our own sins and shortcomings. Although we are reminded with ashes both of our own mortality and our need to remove ourselves from the temporary pleasures of sin, Lent is even more a time of deeper reflection of our own relationship with God and how best we might strengthen that bond between ourselves and Christ. As we sacrifice for the sake of Lent, we remember the sacrifice of Christ for us.

For my own part, I pray that God grants me the grace to use Lent to let go of my pride, vices, grudges, and grant me the ability to be an example of how a Catholic ought to live to others. That Lent becomes a time not merely to fast from those things which I would like or enjoy, but to renew my own faith in a revival of personal spiritual life.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God always grants those things regardless of what time of year it is. In my opinion, I think too many people use holidays or special occasions as an excuse to try to get right with God when it should be a part of everyday life. They sin away without a care during the week/year and look for forgiveness on Sundays/Christmas/Easter...I'm pretty sure that is not what God intended for us...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map