Friday, March 14, 2008

A note from Story

My friend Fabian Story wrote an Open Letter last night in response to comments left on this weblog. Normally, I wouldn't post anything like this, but I was deeply moved by Fabian's words-he has repeatedly stuck by me even when he has disagreed with something I might have said or done, and I thank him for such unbounded support:

World According to Oatney Readers;

I have the honor of working with David on an almost daily basis and have learned from personal experience that he is both a devout Catholic and a conscientious, caring human being. I have the unique position of looking at things both as an ordained and licensed minister, and as a political operative. It is with this perspective that I write these words.

I have known David approaching a year and in that time have found him to be consistent and caring in what he does whether it is blogging, Knights of Columbus, fire dispatcher, practicing Catholic, husband, or friend.

This evening David’s faith and credibility were called into question on his blog and I wanted to- from my perspective-say that the commentary degrading him is unfounded and untrue. It is easy to sit behind a computer and pass judgment when you are afraid to be on the front lines and it is easy to see things when all you have is your own perspective. Granted a blog is exactly that a perspective but to call someone a hypocrite because they fail to call out Pastor John Hagee on comments that were not in accordance with David’s faith?

The call out of the Pastor of Barack Obama’s church should be based solely on the anti-American rant and not for his religious beliefs. I have read David’s thoughts on the matter and see them as a political statement, not religious-therefore removing any alleged hypocritical or so called un-Catholic statements.

David has repeatedly demonstrated class and character in everything I have witnessed.

Sincerely;

Rev. Fabian F. Story D.D. (H.C)

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Friday, March 14, 2008 12:49:00 PM, Blogger Matt Daley said...

And this is my response:

Fabian, if that is the truth, then I am truly happy for you.

I once felt that way about David, for many years. And then, one day last summer, I ended up with a knife in my back because he didn't care for words that I spoke to someone else...words that I later regretted and have tried to make amends for on my own.

I was talked down to as a child and treated as a pariah rather than as a friend.

I pray something similar doesn't someday happen to you.

Also, I'd point out that while you may have those experiences, others may have different experiences. Do not assume that everyone is treatred with the same class and respect, because that is not so.

And honestly, I'd rather suffer 1,000 deaths than allow David to be portrayed as some perfect, all-wonderful saint who never does anyone wrong -- especially when he refuses to have the courage to answer my claims in any manner whatsoever, be it public or private.

 
At Friday, March 14, 2008 12:53:00 PM, Blogger Matt Daley said...

And David, this is for you...

It's VERY interesting that you'll say the following:

"he has repeatedly stuck by me even when he has disagreed with something I might have said or done, and I thank him for such unbounded support"

If you're so moved when receiving such support, why would you not offer the same support to all others whom you consider friend (be it now or in the past)?

It's clear that you've yet to learn the lesson that friendship isn't only about what those friends can do for you -- it's also about what you can do for your friends.

Pray that you one day learn that lesson.

 
At Friday, March 14, 2008 2:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,
What Obama's pastor said, while blunt, is indeed how many people, particualrly those of color, truly fell about America. It isn't "hate America" so much as it is the result of helpless rage at the injustices that still exist in America and fall disportionaltly on Americans of color.
Conservative preachers said on TV that 911 was the result of God taking his protective grace away from America because of gays, liberals and so on. What Obama's preacher was saying, if you can at all get past the "G*D*** America" was, in so many words, that America doesn't deserve God's blessings until we as a nation adress those injustices. He said it more forcefully than I would have but that's his option.
Also, doesn't the Bible say something about a nation that has "evil judges"? That they are a curse. What's more evil: gays or unjust society?

SteveMule

 
At Friday, March 14, 2008 9:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A sin is a sin and both are wrong

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map