Friday, March 21, 2008

No respect?

As readers know, I was in Nashville Wednesday and Thursday attending several House Committee hearings and Thursday morning attended the House session and was extended the dignity of the floor by my Representative Frank Niceley, as well as by Assistant House Republican Leader Harry Brooks and former House Republican Leader Bill Dunn, the three of which I sat behind and between during the House session, respectively (thank you all for your kindness and hospitality, and for that of Rep. Stacey Campfield). On my way back from the House session , I passed by the closed-circuit plasma television on the wall across from the cafeteria near Lt. Governor Ramsey's office tuned to the Senate session. Along with others who stood there to witness history live, I saw this:




It was former Lt. Governor John Wilder announcing that he would retire from the Senate at the end of his current term this year. Wilder served 36 years and his announcement provoked an outpouring of praise from his colleagues.



Having been on the House floor a couple of times, I know that the rules of the House are rather lenient on dress but do require that men wear at least a sport coat and tie, and I have to assume Senate rules are much the same. Like many East Tennesseans, I'm also a big race fan, and like most of you I prefer blue jeans and a tee shirt to a coat and tie at almost any time. Some occasions and some places demand the dignity of a jacket and tie, and the floor of the Tennessee Senate is such a place.

The malcontent who represents my district apparently has little respect for the Senate and no respect at all for the man he rose to praise so highly, and supposedly thinks of as a mentor. Mike Williams had the gall to rise in praise of Governor Wilder dressed in jeans and a NASCAR jacket.

That's how he represented our district on such an important day in Tennessee history on the floor of the Senate.

Thank God and Mike Faulk he'll soon be gone.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:30:00 AM, Blogger Steve Steffens said...

First, brother Oatney, please allow me to extend my wishes for a wonderful Easter for you and yours.

Next, while I understand your concern, I sincerely doubt that Senator Wilder cared how Senator Williams was dressed, as he was grateful for his support throughout the years.

Which, of course, I understand, is at the heart of your dispute with Senator Williams, among other things. I offer a word of caution; y'all be nice to him, and he will probably leave of his own accord.

Back him into a corner, and Mike Faulk might find he's bit off more than he can chew.

Again, a Joyous Easter to you and your family.

LWC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map