Sunday, January 28, 2007

Huckabee is in

Mike Huckabee made it official on Meet the Press this morning, he will run for the Presidency. I do not share Huckabee's newly-former infatuation with President Bush, but Huckabee does not strike me as a warmonger. I think if Huckabee were elected, he would likely look for an honorable way out of the situation in Iraq.

Huckabee's pro-life credentials are solid-he is a Baptist minister, after all. Unlike our current Chief Executive who talks the pro-life talk, I have no trouble at all believing that Huckabee would walk the pro-life walk. He would not merely be a pro-life president in name, he would take concrete action, and Congress be damned. He would continue to give us strict constructionist judges for the federal bench.

After all of these plaudets, you might think I am about to endorse Mike Huckabee. His words to Tim Russert certainly did him no harm in my eyes, but I am not prepared yet to take that step. The campaign season hasn't even begun yet and I am not certain that all the candidates have declared, and there is at least one candidate (Ron Paul) who is probably the best option, but will he survive Iowa and New Hampshire? He may not make it that far.

The race for the Republican nomination just got very interesting.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 30, 2007 3:21:00 PM, Blogger Mike Faulk said...

Decision-making time on Presidential candidates is a long time away. But I have to say I like Mike Huckabee.

I met the Governor at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in Memphis last March. I introduced myself and told him Katy was moving to Little Rock the next week to take the reins as Gubernatorial candidate Asa Hutchinson's Finance Director.

After comparing notes, we learned our daughters knew one another from their time in Washington, DC.

As one father to another, he gave me a private number telling me if she ever needed his help, she should call. As I thanked him he said, "There's a string attached." I asked what it was. "You need to give me a number where I can reach you. I want to be able to talk to her daddy if I see her misbehaving!"

I can live with a guy like that as my President!

 
At Tuesday, January 30, 2007 9:02:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Mike;
That is truly impressive. I have issues with Huckabee's position on immigration-real issues, enough that if I could find a viable candidate taking a harder line, I would be inclined to support that candidate.

However, I haven't yet found a perfect candidate in my lifetime, even among those that I support or have supported. I believe character is the strongest measure of a leader, and if your description is any indication, Reverend Governor Huckabee's character may be worth the nomination.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map