Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Holy Day reminder

A reminder to all Catholics: Today (August 15) is the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is a Holy Day of Obligation, which means that the manners and practice which normally apply to the Lord's Day apply today also. All Catholics are required to attend Mass today unless prevented by illness or some grave emergency reason that might keep a person from the House of God. As on Sunday and any other day one might choose to receive Holy Communion, Catholics of the Latin Rite are bound to fast at least one hour before the reception of Our Lord's Body and Blood.

In addition, the observance of the Holy Day calls us to abstain from any unnecessary work unless said work should pertain to leisurely enjoyment. Those required to work today since the Feast falls during the work week are dispensed from this.

5 Comments:

At Monday, August 14, 2006 10:51:00 PM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

David,
What calendar are you using? Today is Monday the 14th, not Tuesday the 15th. It won't be the 15th for another hour and 15 minutes or so. I think your computer's clock is screwed up or something.

SteveMule

 
At Tuesday, August 15, 2006 5:14:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Steve;
See my old posts about posting ahead.

 
At Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:33:00 PM, Blogger Steve Mule said...

David,
Oh, you're doing it on purpose. OK. I thought that you didn't know it was doing that. I also have to apologize, I should have contacted you privately about it.
But if you know it's doing it, then it's OK and it doesn't matter to me why. If you have a good reason then that's good for me.

SteveMule

 
At Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:46:00 PM, Blogger Belle said...

Dave --

Vance's wife, Jody, here posting. Catie -- our 6 year old -- just attended Mass today for Holy Day of Obligation. She attends Catholic school here in Johnson City and told us about it after school. So, yea! I knew about something you were writing about!

Just checking out your blog!
Jody

 
At Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:19:00 PM, Blogger Deacon David Oatney said...

Jody;
Thanks for posting and I sure am glad you are reading. I do hope that Vance will seek office again in the near future. When I had coffee with him one thing I noticed very distinctly was that he smiled pretty big when he mentioned his family.

I think it is great that your daughter attends Catholic school! I would recommend parochial schooling for any child, Catholic or not, especially in this day and age of such rampant secularism.

I do hope you come back and read often!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map