Tuesday, January 04, 2005

The unforgettable Christmas of 2004

In the annals of the History of Christmas, 2004 may go down as perhaps the most bazaar Christmas ever, at least for me. The reason I posted nothing here except my update of December 30th is because a massive winter storm disrupted our lives and our Christmas vacation. My wife and I planned on fixing Christmas dinner for the family since my aunt was recuperating from knee surgery, and we were looking forward to it.

The Almighty intervened through nature, however, and sent a snowstorm through the region that would be largely an ice storm for people in the Newark area. The storm brought trees down, which brought power lines down and caused transformers to explode all over town. Ultimately, the storm kept power out until Sunday the 26th. That meant that my wife and I could not cook Christmas dinner, indeed we couldn’t cook anything. (Fumbling around in a local grocery store in the dark to find something to eat that didn’t need to be heated was a chore.) Ultimately, when we smelled the fumes from a borrowed kerosene heater Christmas morning, we knew it was time to go.

This is why there have been no entries on a regular basis for the last couple of weeks on this blog, but we now return you to our regularly scheduled musings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map