Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Welcome To My World

This is the first post in what I hope will be a long line of chronicles of the world. Some of the people viewing this will be old friends, some will just arrive upon the scene of my life through the wonderful world of the internet. Some of you will have to give me time to get used to the concept.

Weblogging, Blogging for short, is a relatively new way to expand on an old idea. Throughout the late 18th and much of the 19th Century, many people, especially those who tended to be college educated, or what in those days they called "booklearned," kept journals which chronicled more than their lives, but also their thoughts, feelings, and emotions about the issues of their day. One of the most famous of these journals is that of Mary Boykin Chesnut, a Southern Lady whose husband and family moved within the highest circles of the Confederate government. The details of her life and her thoughts on the issues and people that surrounded her in a time of war and sacrifice were so thorough that her journal has set the standard for what historians look for in journals from the antebellum and post bellum periods in America.

I won't even begin to claim that this Blog, or its subject matter (which will cover the gambit), will do justice to 21st Century Cincinnati the way Mary Chesnut did in her descriptions of 19th Century Charleston. Sometimes, I'll talk about the weekend's sports happenings, and I doubt Mary Chesnut would have cared much for that. I'll certainly have plenty to say about the social and political situation in the city, the state, the nation, and the world at large, and in this regard, Mary Chesnut and I have much in common. I'll likely muse on a variety of topics, but do so in such a way that those of you who view this Blog will want to make it as much a part of your internet news and information day as you would any of the sites for the world's major newspapers or news networks.

Finally, let me say that if you find in the days ahead that you like what is here, you can find much more coherent writing from my cyber pen. My columns are regularly syndicated at American Daily, and I hope you enjoy reading those columns as much as I enjoy writing them.

In the days ahead, I hope to use this Blog to invite the rest of the world into my world. I hope you'll come on in, sit right down, and make yourself at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Locations of visitors to this page
Profile Visitor Map - Click to view visits
Create your own visitor map